My due date was March 6 and after a doctor appointment that day I was pretty disappointed that I had not progressed any further than the week before, actually I hadn't progressed much at all in 2 weeks! That evening around 7pm, I was leaving the grocery store when I began to notice contractions. I had experienced false contractions before then, so it didn't alarm me too much until I started timing them!!!
When Matt got home, I told him that there was a slight possibility that I might be in labor and we may need to go to the hospital that evening. Although the thought was in both of our minds, it was really surreal and neither of us would have bet money that we'd be holding our precious baby boy in the next 24 hours. We (slowly) got things prepared "just incase"....each of us took a shower, we finished putting together our overnight bag, did a little light cleaning around the house and really just took the evening calmly. Around 10:30pm, I knew I better go to the hospital because the contractions were getting closer together and lasting longer.
Although we had been calm all night long, the drive to the hospital was really when our hearts began to pound. We loaded the car up, got in and right when we started the car, the very first words that blared out the speakers were "This is the first day of the rest of your life." Ummmm, yeah. Crazy!!!! Matt and I froze, looking at each other. I think we exchanged something along the lines of 'did that really just happen?' and I knew right then that Landon was coming. If you're not familiar with the song, it's by Matt Maher and it's titled Hold Us Together. It's a beautiful song reassuring us that God is in control!
We were excited parents-to-be and just wanted to get to the hospital as soon as possible!!! I wanted to get there before pain set in, and Matt...well if you know his personality, he naturally gets overly anxious. So with hazard lights flashing, away we went, (cautiously) speeding of course, and even (safely) running a red light or two. The speed limits on some hardly traveled streets around here is 25 MPH, so it's not like we were doing 100 on the highway or anything. About a mile from the hospital, a cop lit us up. I told Matt to keep going and he could follow us to the ER. I think Matt was going something like 20 over, the speed limit was only 35, but of course the cop excused it and just said to just don't speed so much over the limit on the next baby! :)
So I walk into the triage with a big smile on my face and excitely proclaim that I think I'm in labor! The nurse smirked and said, "Honey, by that big smile on your face, I can tell you that you're NOT in labor." She checked me out anyway, and within about 15 minutes that same nurse was telling me we WERE in labor and we were about to have a baby.
Labor and my stay started out beautifully, we had the sweetest nurse once we checked in who stayed in our room ALL night comforting us. We tried to get a little sleep but we were just so excited, sleep wasn't going to happen. Around 7am I began pushing, and finally at 12:50pm we welcomed Landon Garrett Hutchins into the world. 6 pounds, 15 ounces and 20.5 inches long
Unfortunately, I didn't have the most smooth or ideal labor and delivery. I would do it again in a heartbeat for Landon though. After 4 nights in the hospital, we were finally released on Monday, and Landon went for his first carride home at 1pm!!!
Homecoming
Landon's Auntie Leila had the most precious announcement made for our front yard. This super cute stork greeted us!!!
The first thing when we arrived home was introduce Landon and Scooter, who was very curious, very happy and very welcoming.They're going to be BEST buddies! Click here to see a short clip: Puppy Meets Baby!
Landon's nursery was also ready to welcome him! I can proudly report that he's spent every night in his own crib since we've brought him home!
My mom (AKA Nana) stayed with us for the first two weeks. Matt and I don't know what we would have done without her. She was such a blessing to us in so many ways. I had begun my recovery and I felt horrible, constantly. Mama woke all hours of the night with me and Landon for feedings, changed more diapers than Matt and I combined, and put him to sleep when I myself couldn't keep my eyes open. Being able to share Landon's first days with her is something irreplaceable. But I also enjoyed having Mama here for me too. One of the most special things is that we enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner together everyday for 2 weeks. I cherish that so much. I had not been able to spend that kind of time with her since high school.
Landon took newborn pictures at just 7 days old. He is just the most sweetest, beautiful thing that I've ever seen and I'm so happy we were able to capture what he looked like soon after birth. He's already changed so much. Here are a few of my favorites from the session, and his birth announcement!
Being a new parent is exhausting and certainly something we could have never prepared for. I just want to share how thankful I am to all the people who brought us dinner. The first month I don't think we cooked but just a time or two. First our neighbors took turns bringing us dinner, then our Sunday School class. We can't thank everyone enough!
March ended with Easter! Landon's GG got to come love on him for a few days that weekend, and she was such wonderful help...even taking the baby monitor for a whole night so we could truly take a break!
Month 2: April
April started off a little rough. Landon began showing more signs of colic, and although he isn't half as bad as many colic babies, it was just enough to almost make us go crazy! All I have to say is gripe water is the most wonderful thing on the planet! He had, still has, some stomach discomforts and gripe water has proven to calm him in most cases.
![]() |
| Landon turned one month on April 7! |
I was on the phone with my best friend Kara the first week in April and I guess she could tell that I was about to lose it, because Monday morning that next week she surprised me by flying into Fayetteville. She stayed all week. I love her so much and she'll never know how much I appreciated that. It was so much fun to have her here, and sooooo much help! Dropping her off at the airport was one of the hardest things I've had to do.
The following weekend Matt's brother and dad came to visit. Here's a picture of Landon with his Uncle Graham the first time he held him.
The third week in April I received some of the most glorious news! That Friday, my doctor had given me permission to work out again! I can't tell you how much I had been looking forward to that. I need more energy and less jiggle. Since Matt works and I'm not quite ready to put Landon in the gym's childcare, I have to start back at the gym with 5:30am classes. What a challenge! I'll be happy in the weeks ahead when I'll get to return to an 8:30am workout and have someone else watch Landon for an hour or so!
This last weekend my parents were able to come back and visit. It was so fun to show his Nana and Granpa how much Landon has grown. His 6th week he started smiling at us. Before then, he would smile, but it wasn't with intent. He also recently began responding to his toys and us singing to him. I know these things are the start of the most fun "firsts" we get to experience with him. Yesterday morning he actually giggled for the first time! It was a short little giggle but it was his first, and it was sooooo precious. The past two nights he's actually slept 7 1/2 hours through the night. I pray he will consistently have more nights like those. It's wonderful!
Landon loves:
Being swaddled tightly (this baby hates to be naked),
his daddy's voice,
looking at the light that shines through windows,
watching me sign language to him,
his toys during waketimes (see picture below),
napping in his swing (I allow once or twice a day),
car rides--as long as the car is in motion,
being sang to; his favorite song is The Green Grass Grows All Around
![]() |
| His two favorite toys! Bouncy chair with sounds & lights....and a colorful fun playmat! |
![]() |
| Landon's First (sponge) Bath at Home: March 13, 2013 |
![]() | |
| The preciousness in my life! |
Every good and perfect gift is from above.
James 1:17
















No comments:
Post a Comment